Somalia ranks at 165 (out of 170 countries) on the Human Development Index of the United Nations Development Program (UNDP). APCO calls for :
- Increased enrollment and retention of school age children from target groups.
- Enhanced capacity of government to develop and implement a non-formal education policy and strategy.
- Strengthened capacity of community groups to support education programs.
- Engaged support for education among parents, elders, and religious leaders.
- Improve reading and learning at community and urban levels.
- Gender mainstreaming in education
- Diversity enriched in all persons including minorities, Persons with Disabilites, IDPs, IDPs , Returnees, Pastoralists
- Improve professional development and performance of teachers
- Technical Vocational Education.