Community Mobilizers – Afgooye – Somalia (2 Positions)
Position Title: 2- Community Mobilization Supervisor
Reporting to: Community Mobilizer under the supervision of Nutrition
Duty Station: Afgoye – Somalia
Duration: Twelve (12) Months with the possibility of extension
Deadline for Applications: 12/June/2023
Agro Pastoral Charity Organization abbreviated as APCO is a national
humanitarian organization working in Somalia since its establishment in the year
- APCO is a non-profit making organization to address and mitigate the
effects of biting natural and man-made disasters and the socio-economic
problems in Somalia. It is an initiative formed to resist prolonged insecurity and
droughts in Somalia and the increased lack of humanitarian access and
humanitarian services to victims in Somalia.
APCO targets vulnerable beneficiaries both in urban and rural areas through lifesaving activities through emergency response, recovery, livelihoods, and
developmental activities. With regards to the absence of the socio-economic
infrastructure and the systems of governance and institutions which led to the
collapse of livelihoods and all the basic services of many communities. The
organization also focuses on governance projects of peacebuilding and
development initiatives. APCO since its inception and mutual partnerships with
global development and local partners has been able to implement humanitarian
protection activities in collaboration with its stakeholders.
In partnership with Somali Humanitarian Fund (SHF), APCO is implementing a
Nutrition program, “Titled Provision of lifesaving nutrition assistance for the droughtaffected population in Afgoye district, Lower Shabelle region”. So, APCO is looking for
a professionally confident, self-motivated, experienced and committed team
player – Community Mobilization Supervisor.
The community mobiliser is primarily responsible for community mobilization, under the
supervision of the Health and Nutrition coordinator, the community mobilization officer will be a
crucial part of a team responsible and accountable for ensuring the implementation of APCO
community-based activities related to health and nutrition program, planning and monitor
community health and nutrition activities with close supervision for community outreach
workers, lead the team to respond to the need of the community after careful assessment for what
is need by the community.
S/he will also ensure that activities have been implemented according to the principles and
within the logical framework and work plan of the project.
- Organize and mobilize communities for the need identification in the area of Nutrition.
- Under the supervision of the Health and Nutrition Coordinator, develop a clear work plan for
community health and nutrition activities, and share it with community outreach workers
- In consultation with village-level stakeholders, design periodic social mobilization activity
plans and update the plan to accommodate the change and needs of the beneficiaries and
ensure the quality implementation of the plan.
- Keep close coordination and liaison with community outreach workers, community, and
partners and assist them in developing high-quality nutrition education and hygiene
- In collaboration with the logistic team and his supervisor, facilitate and organize all logistics
requirements including RUFP dispatch, medical items and distribution plan to transport
supplies to health facilities.
- In collaboration with MoH Office ensure that health and nutrition services are ongoing in the
- Regularly monitor field activities, and maintain working relationships between team
members and the community.
- Help in the collection of weekly and monthly progress reports and statistic reports from the
field for submission to the Nutrition Program Coordinator.
- Depending on the security situation, conduct monthly/quarterly meetings with community
outreach workers to discuss all related issues and to put a plan for the coming period.
- Report any problems in a timely manner to the Nutrition Program Coordinator
- To take any other relevant task given by the supervisor
- The support project team in the planning of social mobilization and training activities as per
the operational context.
- Assist to conduct need-based surveys and assessments as visualized in the program
document, such as social feasibility studies, and household surveys.
- Promote and install a sense of ownership among the beneficiaries through community
engagement activities or design appropriate activities for the enhanced beneficiaries’
- Coordinate and establish a network for social mobilization, when required and as deemed
necessary, with other humanitarian actors operating in the same area.
- Perform other assignments following the information received from the organization.
Qualifications and Experience
A University Degree in Public or Business Administration, or a related field with a minimum of
2 years of relevant experience.
ü Good understanding of community culture and behaviour
ü A high level of knowledge and competency in Microsoft Office especially Word,
Excel and PowerPoint
ü Excellent listening and observation skills; ability to create a space of trust, support,
ü Respect for the different contributions of individuals within the staff team
ü Demonstrated teamwork skills
ü Good communication skills with a wide range of people
ü Experience in providing general support in a small team
ü Ability to work autonomously, effectively managing own workload without continual
ü Attention to detail and good time management and self-organizational skills
ü Commitment to a process of continuous improvement
- Mother Tongue Somali
- Fluency in English
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application, including the most recent CV
with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of
three references by indicating the name of the position applied in the subject line of the e-mail to
email@example.com no later than on 12 June 2023.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.