Vacancy Announcement: 29 May 2023
Position: IYCF Councilors (5 positions)
Duration: 12 months
Directly reports to Nutrition Officer
Application closing date: 12 June 2023
Agro Pastoral Charity Organization abbreviated as APCO is a national
humanitarian organization working in Somalia since its establishment in the year
- APCO is a non-profit making organization to address and mitigate the
effects of biting natural and man-made disasters and the socio-economic
problems in Somalia. It is an initiative formed to resist prolonged insecurity and
droughts in Somalia and the increased lack of humanitarian access and
humanitarian services to victims in Somalia.
APCO targets vulnerable beneficiaries both in urban and rural areas through
life-saving activities through emergency response, recovery, livelihoods, and
developmental activities. With regards to the absence of the socio-economic
infrastructure and the systems of governance and institutions which led to the
collapse of livelihoods and all the basic services of many communities. The
organization also focuses on governance projects of peacebuilding and
development initiatives. APCO since its inception and mutual partnerships with
global development and local partners has been able to implement humanitarian
protection activities in collaboration with its stakeholders.
In partnership with Somali Humanitarian Fund (SHF), APCO is implementing a
Nutrition program, titled Provision of lifesaving nutrition assistance for droughtaffected population in Afgoye district, Lower Shabelle. So, APCO is looking for
professionally confident, self-motivated, experienced and committed team
player IYCF counsellors.
Overall Job Purpose
IYCF counsellors will be responsible for individual and group IYCF counselling
Duties and Responsibilities
- Helps to identify needs for breastfeeding counselling and provide
- Facilitates sessions on nutrition health and hygiene good practices to
pregnant and lactating women and caregivers of malnourished children
attending the IYCF-E and Out-patient Therapeutic Programme (OTP)
- To provide one on one breastfeeding counselling for mothers
experiencing difficulties in breastfeeding including demonstration and
breastfeeding techniques and supporting re-lactation.
- Facilitate the scheduling of outreach workers/volunteers for follow-up of
caregivers of children with breastfeeding difficulties at home.
- Identify mothers to become peer educators in their home villages and to
support them to undertake sensitization and referral to the Mother Baby
- Refer children for intensive nutritional/medical care as required.
- To train outreach workers and volunteers on best practices for infant and
young child feeding.
- Prepare daily/weekly reports on activities and any necessary reports as
requested by the Nutrition Officer.
- Attend training and team meetings as requested.
Required Skills and Experience
- Diploma in Nurse, Public health, or other related field is required.
- Experience in the area of nutrition promotion and addressing malnutrition.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in the same position.
- Previous experience in NGOs/Donor funded programs is preferred.
- Working experience of one year in IMAM or Maternal and Child Health
- Excellent written and spoken skills in English
- Experience in nutrition program and community work.
- Good relations with other people.
- Good capacity to work in a team and flexibility.
- Excellent communication (written and oral), editing, and advocacy skills
- Computer literate in (Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Effective interpersonal skills
- The post is open to only Somali Nationals
- Female applicants are encouraged
Interested applicants are requested to submit their detailed CV and cover letter
through the following email addresses: email@example.com with the subject
line indicating ‘Application for the Screener Position’, on or before 12 June